Welcome to the Design and Science Community. This site discusses the relationship between Design and Science. You may also want to subscribe to our mailing list.
Important: Please consider signing this petition to urge the European research funding agencies to promote Open Access publishing!
Events - Conferences, Workshops and Symposia
- Artifact , Routeledge (Taylor & Francis) - An international peer-reviewed academic journal dealing with design. The journal addresses topical themes and issues that are of relevance to design researchers, practising designers, and manufacturers.
- CoDesign, Taylor & Francis - International Journal of CoCreation in Design and the Arts
- Design Issues, MIT Press - The first American academic journal to examine design history, theory, and criticism, Design Issues provokes inquiry into the cultural and intellectual issues surrounding design.
- The Design Journal, Berg Publishers - The Design Journal is an international refereed journal covering all aspects of design. The journal welcomes articles on design in both cultural and commercial contexts.
- Design Philosophy Papers, online journal - Design Philosophy Papers comes with a passion to communicate, share and argue for a much greater recognition of importance of design as a force in the contemporary world. DPP aims to increase understanding of the significance of design by the wider intellectual community as well as by designers, and to raise the level of international debate about design.
- Design Studies, Elsevier - The International Journal for Design Research in Engineering, Architecture, Products and Systems
- Form, Birkhäuser
- International Journal of Arts and Technology, Inderscience - IJART is a top venue for high quality research and artworks that advance state-of- the-art contributions in the area of the arts and new technologies.
The focus is on the multi-disciplinary emerging area of computational art.
- International Journal of Art & Design Education, Blackwell Publisher, Impact Factor: 0.185
- International Journal of Design Chinese Institute of Design (CID), The International Journal of Design is a peer-reviewed, open-access journal devoted to publishing research papers in all fields of design, including industrial design, visual communication design, interface design, animation and game design, architectural design, urban design, and other design related fields.
- International Journal of Design Sciences & Technology, europia - The International Journal of Design Sciences and Technology is a multidisciplinary forum dealing with all facets and fields of design. It endeavours to provide a framework with which to support debates on the different economical, historical, pedagogical, philosophical, scientific and technological issues surrounding design.
- Journal of Design History, Oxford University Press - The Journal of Design History plays an active role in the development of design history (including the history of the crafts and applied arts), as well as contributing to the broader field of studies of visual and material culture. The journal includes a regular book reviews section and lists books received, and from time to time publishes special issues.
- Journal of Design Research, Inderscience - JDR is an interdisciplinary journal, emphasising human aspects as a central issue of design through integrative studies of social sciences and design disciplines. Originally published as an electronic journal publishing articles including multimedia applications and hence allowing visual knowledge transfer, it is now also available in print.
- Journal of Engineering Design, Taylor & Francis - The Journal of Engineering Design provides an essential forum for dialogue between practitioners and academics in the field of engineering design. Impact Factor: 0.383
- Leonardo, MIT Press - Leonardo is the leading journal for readers interested in the application of contemporary science and technology to the arts.
- Scientometrics - An International Journal for all Quantitative Aspects of the Science of Science, Communication in Science and Science Policy
- Social Studies of Science, Sage - An International Review of Research in the Social Dimensions of Science and Technology, Impact Factor: 0.929
- Technoetic Arts, Intellect - A journal of speculative research
- Bartneck, C. (2009). Using The Metaphysics Of Quality To Define Design Science. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology, Malvern, Pennsylvania, Article No. 6.
- Dorst, C. H. (2003). Understanding Design. Amsterdam: BIS Publisher. | view at Amazon.com
- Feyerabend, P. K. (1975). Against Method: Outline of an anarchistic theory of knowledge. London: Humanities Press. | view at Amazon.com
- Nicolis, Gregoire and Prigogine, Ilya (1989). Exploring Complexity, Freeman & Company | view at Amazon.com
- Hubka, V., & Eder, W. E. (1996). Design Science: Introduction to needs, scope and organization of engineering design knowledge. Berlin; New York: Springer. | view at Amazon.com
- Poincare, H., & Maitland, F. (1996). Science and Method. Bristol: Thoemmes Press. | view at Amazon.com
- Prize, Derek (1986). Little Science, Big Science, Columbia University Press | ISBN 0231049579
July 30, 2009
by Christoph Bartneck